Thursday, November 3, 2016

KEEPER LIT: Small Time: A Life in the Football Wilderness

Keeper Lit is my version of a GK's book club. And for my first KL selection, I'm choosing a story that is one I can relate to on many levels.


Small Time: A Life in the Football Wilderness (available on amazon.com) is Justin Bryant's story of his goalkeeping life. It is a fascinating story, very well-written, and brutally honest. Justin and I are the same age, and I wish I had been good enough as a young keeper to embark on a similar adventure, even if it was a rough one at times.

For those of us who are destined to be rec league keepers, Small Time provides an eye-opening look into the world of professional trials and locker rooms, coaches and teammates, and being a stranger in a strange land. For every Kasey Keller and Tim Howard, there are plenty of Justin Bryants out there. And I guess that's what makes Small Time such a compelling read for me, as I can more closely relate to Justin's story.

My only complaint is that it is on the short end of the reading spectrum (174 pages), but for $10 or less, I still consider it money well-spent. For those of you who decide to pick it up, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Happy reading,

TK

No comments:

Post a Comment